Updated: 21 June 2022
GetLion is a platform created to enable entrepreneurs to sell their products and services online. However, it is important that Sellers familiarize themselves with the below policy that outlines that items that are not allowed for promotion or sale on the GetLion website.
The items contained in this Product Listing Policy are not exhaustive and GetLion reserves its right to, upon consideration of a product, make a determination on the prohibition of such a product and/or amend the item list of Parts 1, 2 and 3 below.
PART 1 – GENERAL PROHIBITIONS
- You may not post or sell any item that is restricted or prohibited by a national or local law in any country or jurisdiction. Below, we have listed some categories of prohibited or restricted items. However, this list is not intended to be exhaustive; you, as the Seller, are responsible for ensuring that you are not posting an item that is prohibited by law in any jurisdiction. Unless otherwise indicated and annotated accordingly below, the list of prohibited or restricted items shall be applicable to services provided by GetLion (Pty) Ltd (“GetLion”), including GetLion.com, the GetLion mobile app and the GetLion Marketplace (getlionmarket.com).
- For the purposes of this Product Listing Policy, transactions which are supported in accordance with GetLion’s terms and conditions, shall be deemed “Relevant Online Transactions”.
- GetLion has chosen to prohibit the posting/listing of items on the GetLion Marketplace, which may not be restricted or prohibited by law, but are nonetheless controversial, including:
- Items that encourage illegal activities (e.g. lock pick tools, synthetic urine for cheating drug tests);
- Items that are racially, religiously or ethnically derogatory, or that promote hatred, violence, racial or religious intolerance;
- Giveaways, lotteries, raffles, or contests;
- Stocks, bonds, investment interests, and other securities;
- Pornographic materials or items that are sexual in nature, including but not limited to, adult entertainment, adult media, sex toys, performance enhancing drugs and others (see 2.9 below).
- Items that do not offer a physical product or service for sale, such as digital currencies and advertisements solely for the purpose of collecting user information;
- Intentional copies of other listings;
- Spam, nonsense, or violent or deceptive listings.
- Listings misleading to Buyers or others;
- Reselling of regulated goods;
- Offering to prepare academic works on behalf of Buyers;
- Exceedingly low-quality Products or Services, as deemed by Buyer ratings and reviews.
- GetLion, in its sole and exclusive discretion, reserves the right to impose additional restrictions and prohibitions.
- In the event of inconsistency, ambiguity or conflict of the contents of this policy with any other terms of the GetLion platform, or between the English and other language versions of this policy, the English version and the decision of GetLion exercised in its absolute discretion shall always prevail.
- GetLion and its representatives reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to remove without warning or explanation, any Product or Service listed on the GetLion platform, deemed to be in contravention of this Product Listing Policy. Listings that are removed for violations mentioned throughout, may result in the suspension of the Seller’s account. Listings that are removed for violations are not eligible to be restored or edited. Listings may be removed from our Search feature due to poor performance and/or user misconduct.
PART 2 – PROHIBITED AND CONTROLLED ITEMS
2.1. ILLICIT DRUGS, PRECURSORS AND DRUG PARAPHERNALIA
- GetLion expressly forbids any and all listing or sale of narcotics, tranquilizers, psychotropic drugs, natural drugs, synthetic drugs, steroids and other controlled substances (including all drugs listed in Schedule 1 Parts I and II and Schedule 2 Part I, II, III, of the Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act 140 of 1992.). The provisions of the Medicines and Related Substances Act 101 of 1965 are also applicable. Such activity of illegal use and selling of substances can result in your account being delisted.
- The listing or sale of all drug precursor chemicals is strictly prohibited.
- Drug paraphernalia, including all items that are primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, concealing, or using a controlled substance, are strictly forbidden on the GetLion platform. Such items include, but are not limited to those items used for the ingestion of illicit substances, including pipes such as water pipes, carburetor pipes, chamber pipes, ice pipes, bongs etc.
- The listing or sale of packaging materials which may be utilized to contain controlled substances, materials conducive to smuggling, storing, trafficking, transporting and manufacturing drugs (e.g. marijuana grow lights), publications and other media providing information related to the production of illicit drugs are prohibited.
- Sellers may not list CBD (Cannabidiol) or related products for sale on the GetLion platform.
2.2. FLAMMABLE, EXPLOSIVE AND HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS
- The posting of explosives and related ignition and detonation equipment is strictly prohibited. Such activity can result in your account being delisted.
- Radioactive substances, toxic and poisonous chemicals are forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- The posting, offering for sale, or offering for purchase of hazardous or dangerous materials (such as the categories of dangerous goods as defined under the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code) are forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- The posting, offering for sale, or offering for purchase of any products containing harmful substances (e.g. items containing asbestos) are forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- Listing of fireworks, firecrackers and associated products are forbidden on the GetLion platform.
2.3. FIREARMS AND AMMUNITIONS
- Any service, instruction, process, or aid for producing any biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons, or other Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) or known associated agents is strictly prohibited by international law and accordingly prohibited on the GetLion platform. Any violation of this policy will result in the notification of government authorities by GetLion and your account being delisted.
- The posting of, offering for sale, or offering for purchase of any arms, munitions, military ordnance, weapons (including explosive weapons), and/or any related parts and components (whether integral or otherwise) is strictly prohibited. Such activity can result in your account being delisted.
- GetLion does not permit the posting, offering for sale, or offering of purchase of replica, “look-alike” or imitation firearms, and/or any related parts and components (whether integral or otherwise). This prohibition covers such products as air guns, BB guns, paintball guns, harpoons, spear guns and other weapons that may discharge a projectile containing any gas, chemical, or explosive substance.
- GetLion does not permit the posting, offering for sale, or offering for purchase of weapons that can incapacitate or cause serious physical harm to others (e.g. stun guns, batons, crossbows)
- While listing of most knives and other cutting instruments is permitted, switchblade knives, gravity knifes, knuckledusters (bladed or not), bladed handheld devices, and disguised knives are prohibited.
- GetLion maintains discretion over what items are appropriate and may cause removal of a listing that it deems, in its sole discretion, as a weapon.
2.5. LIQUOR AND ALCOHOL
- GetLion does not permit the selling of liquor by Sellers on the GetLion platform. In the even that a customer procures liquor from a third party, the customer does so at their own risk and legal implications.
- It is an offence in terms of South African liquor legislation:
- for any person under the age of 18 (eighteen) years of age to purchase, or attempt to purchase, liquor and/or to present false evidence of his/her age in order to access liquor; and/or
- To purchase liquor for or on behalf of any person under the age of 18 (eighteen) years of age.
- GetLion is not licenced to sell liquor for resale or consumption and you may accordingly not purchase liquor from GetLion for the purpose of reselling it or consuming it.
2.6. GOVERNMENT, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY ISSUED ITEMS
- The following items are not permitted to be listed on the GetLion platform:
- Articles of clothing or identification that claim to be, or appear similar to, official government uniforms.
- Law enforcement badges or official law enforcement equipment from any public authority, including badges issued by the government of any country.
- Military decorations, medals and awards, in addition to items with substantially similar designs.
- Police uniforms, police insignia and police vehicles may not be listed on the GetLion platform unless they are obsolete and in no way resemble current issue police uniforms, police insignia and police vehicles. This fact must be clearly stated within the posting description.
- Listing of police equipment and associated products are forbidden, subject to clause 2.6.5 below.
- The following mass-transit related items are not permitted to be listed on the GetLion platform:
- Any article of clothing or identification related to transportation industries, including but not limited to, commercial airline pilots, flight attendants, airport service personnel, railway personnel, mass-transit security personnel. Vintage clothing related to commercial airlines or other mass-transit may be listed provided that the description clearly states that the item is at least 10 (ten) years old, is no longer in use and does not resemble any current uniform.
- Manuals or other materials related to commercial transportation, including safety manuals published by commercial airlines and entities operating subways, trains or buses. Such items may only be listed if the description clearly states that the material is obsolete and no longer in use.
- Any official, internal, classified or non-public documents.
- There are some police items that may be listed on the GetLion platform, provided they observe the following guidelines:
- Authorized general souvenir items, such as hats, mugs, pins, pens, buttons, cuff links, T-shirts, money clips that do not resemble badges, and paperweights that do not contain badges;
- Badges that are clearly not genuine or official (e.g. toy badges);
- Historical badges that do not resemble modern law enforcement badges, provided that the item description clearly states that the badge is a historical piece at least 75 (seventy-five) years old or issued by an organization which no longer exists.
2.7. MEDICAL DRUGS
- The posting of prescription drugs, psychotropic drugs and narcotics is strictly prohibited.
- The listing or sale of orally administered or ingested sexual enhancement foods and supplements is prohibited.
- Prescription veterinary drugs may not be listed on the GetLion platform.
- Sellers may not post OTC (over-the-counter) drugs on the GetLion platform.
- Sellers may not list CBD (Cannabidiol) or related products for sale on the GetLion platform.
2.8. MEDICAL DEVICES
GetLion does not permit the posting of unauthorized medical devices on the GetLion platform. Sellers may only post authorized medical devices if they have been certified to distribute these.
2.9. ADULT AND OBSCENE MATERIALS
- The posting or sale of pornographic materials is strictly prohibited, as it violates laws in many countries. While pornography is difficult to define and standards vary from nation to nation, GetLion will follow guidelines accepted in South Africa and reserves discretion in this determination.
- Items depicting or suggestive of bestiality, rape sex, incest or sex with graphic violence or degradation, and any items depicting or suggestive of sex involving minors, are strictly prohibited.
- In determining whether listings or information should be removed from the GetLion platform, we consider the overall content of the posting, including images, pictorials, and text.
- Product descriptions may not include nude or otherwise sexually explicit images.
2.10. CIRCUMVENTION DEVICES AND OTHER EQUIPMENT USED FOR ILLICT PURPOSES
- Descramblers and other items that can be used to gain unauthorized access to television programming (such as satellite and cable TV), internet access, telephone, data or other protected, restricted, or premium services are prohibited. Stating the item is for educational or test purposes will not legitimize a product that is otherwise inappropriate. Some examples of items which are not permitted include smart cards and card programmers, descramblers, DSS emulators and hacking software.
- Similarly, information on “how to” descramble or gain access to cable or satellite television programming or other services without authorization or payment is prohibited. GetLion’s policy is to prohibit any encouragement of this type of activity.
- Devices designed to intentionally block, jam or interfere with authorized radio communications, such as cellular and personal communication services, police radar, global positioning systems (GPS) and wireless networking services (Wi-Fi) are prohibited.
- The listing or sale of spy equipment and devices used for interception of wire, oral and electronic communications is not permitted on the GetLion platform.
- Hidden photographic devices are permitted, unless used for sexual or illicit purposes.
- Bank card readers and “skimmers” are prohibited from being listed on the GetLion platform.
- Any and all unauthorized circumvention devices not included in the above are also strictly prohibited.
2.11. ILLEGAL SERVICES
- Listings claiming to provide government services and related products are strictly prohibited. Examples include:
- Official government-issued identification documents, such as birth certificates, driving licenses, passports and visas
- Completed applications for the abovementioned documents
- Any materials, equipment or processes designed for use in the production of government-issued identification documents (e.g. driving license holograms, passport booklets).
- The offering for sale or purchase of textile quota is prohibited.
- The listing or sale of any form of invoices or receipts (including blank, pre-filled, or value added invoices or receipts), is strictly prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- GetLion prohibits listings that offer financial services, including money transfers, issuing bank guarantees and letters of credit, loans, fundraising and funding for person investment purposes, etc.
- GetLion prohibits listings for the sole purpose of collecting user information or raising money.
- Listings that offer medical or healthcare services, including services for medical treatment, rehabilitation, vaccination, health checks, psychological counseling, dietetics, plastic surgery and massage are prohibited.
- The posting or sale of bulk email or mailing lists that contain personally identifiable information including names, addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses, is strictly prohibited. Also prohibited are software or other tools which are designed or used to send unsolicited commercial email (i.e. “spam”).
- Job postings from which a factory/company/institute may directly recruit employees are prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- GetLion is an online business to business information platform serving buyers and sellers. Overtly personal and non-business information is prohibited at the discretion of GetLion and its representatives.
- Non-transferable items may not be posted or sold on the GetLion platform. Many items including lottery tickets, airline tickets and some event tickets may not be resold or transferred.
- Illegal or Fraudulent services;
- Copyright Infringement, Trademark Infringement, and violation of a third party’s terms of service reported to GetLion;
- Adult oriented services, Pornographic, Inappropriate/Obscene;
- Reselling of regulated goods;
- Offering to prepare academic works on behalf of Buyers;
- Services that are prohibited by any laws, regulations, and/or third parties’ terms of service, as well as through any marketing activity that negatively affects our relationships with our users or partners.
2.12. COLLECTIONS, ARTIFACTS AND PRECIOUS METALS
- GetLion strictly forbids the sale and purchase of currency, coins, banknotes, stocks, bonds, money orders, credit and debit cards, investment interest, currency in digital or any intangible form (e.g. crypto-currency), as well as the equipment and materials used to produce such items.
- Counterfeits of the identified articles in 11(a), legal tender and stamps are strictly prohibited.
- Reproductions or replicas of coins as collectible items must be clearly marked with the word “COPY”, “REPRODUCTION” or “REPLICA” and comply with all relevant local laws.
- Listings that offer the sale or buying of gold, silver and other precious metals (not including jewelry) are prohibited.
- Rough diamonds and “conflict minerals” originating from non-compliant countries may not be listed.
- Artifacts, cultural relics, historical grave markers, and related items are protected under the laws of the South Africa, and other jurisdictions; and may not be posted or sold through the GetLion platform.
2.13. HUMAN PARTS, HUMAN REMAINS AND PROTECTED FLORA AND FAUNA
- GetLion prohibits the listing of human body parts and remains. Examples of such prohibited items include, but are not limited to: organs, bones, blood, sperm, and eggs. Items made of human hair, such as wigs for commercial uses, are permitted.
- The listing or sale of any species (including any animal parts such as pelts, skins, internal organs, teeth, claws, shells, bones, tusks, ivory，logs, roots and other parts) protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) or any other local law or regulation is strictly forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- The listing or sale of products made with any part of and/or containing any ingredient derived from sharks or marine mammals is prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- The listing or sale of products made from cats, dogs and bears, as well as any processing equipment, is prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- The listing or sale of poultry, livestock and pets for commercial purposes is permitted on the GetLion platform.
2.14. OFFENSIVE MATERIAL AND INFORMATION DETRIMENTAL TO NATIONAL SECURITY
- Any and all publications and other media containing national secrets or information detrimental to national security or public order are prohibited. Such activity can result in your account being delisted.
- Any information supporting or advocating infringement of national sovereignty, terrorist organizations or discrimination on grounds of race, sex, or religion is strictly prohibited on the GetLion platform. Such activity can result in your account being delisted.
- Postings that are ethnically or racially offensive are prohibited on the GetLion platform. Sellers and Buyers must ensure that any wording used portrays appropriate sensitivity to those who might read it in their postings, and when they are offering or purchasing potentially offensive items or services.
- Materials advocating, promoting or otherwise supporting fascism, Nazism and other extreme ideologies are strictly prohibited.
2.15. TOBACCO PRODUCTS
- The posting of tobacco products, including but not limited to cigars, cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, pipe tobacco, hookah tobacco, chewing tobacco and tobacco leaf is prohibited.
- The posting of nicotine and other liquids (e-liquids) for use in electronic cigarettes is forbidden.
2.16. GAMBLING EQUIPMENT
- The listing or sale of equipment specifically used for gambling is prohibited. Products which have other legitimate uses (such as dice and playing cards) will generally be permitted.
2.17. FACES, NAMES AND SIGNATURES
- Items containing the likeness, image, name, or signature of another person are prohibited, unless the products were made or authorized by the person whose likeness, image, name or signature has been used.
2.18. REPLICA AND COUNTERFEIT ITEMS
- Listing of counterfeits, non-licensed replicas, or unauthorized items, such as counterfeit designer garments, watches, handbags, sunglasses, or other accessories, is strictly prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- If the products sold bear the name or logo of a company, but did not originate from or were not endorsed by that company, such products are prohibited from the GetLion platform.
- Postings of branded products are permitted if a certificate of authorization has been issued by the brand owner.
- Postings offering to sell or purchase replicas, counterfeits or other unauthorized items shall be subject to removal by GetLion. Repeated postings of counterfeit or unauthorized items shall result in the immediate suspension of your account.
- Academic Software
- Academic software is software sold at discounted prices to students, teachers, and employees of accredited learning institutions.
- On the Site, please do not list any academic software unless you are so authorized.
- For postings of academic software on behalf of an authorized educational reseller or an educational institution, such licensure must be stated conspicuously in the listings. A certificate of authorization issued by the authorized educational reseller (or the educational institution) must also be provided to GetLion.
- OEM Software;
- Do not list “OEM” or “bundled” copies of software on the GetLion platform, unless you are selling it with computer hardware. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), or bundled software, is software that is obtained as part of the purchase of a new computer. OEM software licenses usually prohibit the purchaser from reselling the software without the computer or, in some cases, without any computer hardware.
2.20. UNAUTHORIZED COPIES OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- The listing or sale of unauthorized (pirated, duplicated, backup, bootleg, etc.) copies of software programs, video games, music albums, movies, television programs, photographs or other protected works is forbidden on the GetLion platform.
2.21. OTHER LISTING PROHIBITIONS
- The posting of any products containing harmful substances (e.g. toys containing lead paint) is forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- Automotive airbags are expressly forbidden on the GetLion platform.
- Refurbished products. The sale and purchase of refurbished mobile phones, laptops and computers is prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- Used products
- Used undergarments (i.e. underwear) may not be listed or sold on the GetLion platform. Other used clothing may be listed, so long as the clothing has been thoroughly cleaned. Postings that contain inappropriate or extraneous descriptions will be removed.
- The listing or sale of used cosmetics is prohibited on the GetLion platform.
- Contracts and tickets
- You are responsible for ensuring that your transaction is lawful and not in violation of any contractual obligation. Before posting an item on the GetLion platform, you should carefully read any contracts that you have entered into that might limit your right to sell your item on the GetLion platform. Some items, such as airline tickets, have terms printed on the item that may limit your ability to sell that item. In other cases, such as when you are distributing a company’s products, you may have signed a separate contract restricting your ability to market the product.
- GetLion does not search for items that may raise these types of issues, nor can it review copies of private contracts, or adjudicate or take sides in private contract disputes. However, we want you to be aware that posting items in violation of your contractual obligations could put you at risk with third parties. GetLion therefore urges that you not list any item until you have reviewed any relevant contracts or agreements, and are confident you can legally sell it on the GetLion platform.
- If you have any questions regarding your rights under a contract or agreement, we strongly recommend that you contact the company with whom you entered into the contract and/or consult with an attorney.
- Event ticket resale policy. GetLion allows the listing of tickets to performance, sporting and entertainment events to the extent permitted by law. However, as a ticket seller, you are responsible for ensuring that your particular transaction does not violate any applicable law or the terms on the ticket itself.
- Real estate. A real estate posting allows buyers to contact the seller to get more information and express interest about the property listed. Before you post a listing relating to sale or purchase of real estate, you must ensure that you have complied with all applicable laws and regulations
- Stolen property
- The posting or sale of stolen property is strictly forbidden on the GetLion platform, and violates applicable law. Stolen property includes items taken from private individuals, as well as property taken without authorization from companies or governments.
- GetLion supports and cooperates with law enforcement efforts involving the recovery of stolen property and the prosecution of responsible individuals. If you are concerned that the images and/or text in your item description have been used by another Site user without your authorization, or that your intellectual property rights have been violated by such user, please contact our service team.
PART 3 OTHER PRODUCT PARTICULARS
- An “eBook” means an electronic book capable of being opened and read on your PC or Mac computer using Adobe Digital Editions software (“Adobe Reader”), and on certain other mobile hardware devices (such as iphones and android)
- You will not be able to read eBooks on devices that do not support the Reader Applications, therefore check your device prior to purchasing an eBook.
- Even if a device supports the Reader Applications, eBooks will only be able to be read on such devices that you have associated with your profile in the relevant Reader Application. If you have not registered additional devices with one of the Reader Applications, you will only be able to read the eBook on the device onto which it was first downloaded.
- You will need to be connected to the internet when you download an eBook and open it for the first time. On subsequent openings of the eBook, you will not need to be connected to the internet, provided you are opening the eBook from the device on which you first downloaded and opened the eBook.
- When ordering an eBook, you will be ordering the right to download such eBook from the relevant publisher and consequently, if the Third Party accepts your order, delivery will take place electronically via the internet as described below. GetLion is not responsible for invalid links or transactions.
- When your order is accepted and upon receipt or confirmation of payment, the Link to the relevant eBook from the relevant eBook publisher and deliver such Link to you in your ‘my account profile” The speed of delivery of a Link will depend on a variety of factors, most of which are internet related and beyond certain control factors. However, as a guide only, delivery should occur within a few seconds, but can also take up to a number of hours. You will be able to access and click on the Link at any time following delivery thereof to you, subject to certain restrictions.
- So as to reduce the risk of fraud, eBook publishers limit the number of times any Link can be clicked before access to the Link is blocked. You will be able to click on such Link at least once, but acknowledge that access to the Link may become blocked after your first click so as to prevent fraud;
- The Link will not appear if you have removed it, or it has been removed pursuant to your having ‘returned’ the eBook (if possible in accordance with Third Party’s Returns Policy pertaining to eBooks from time to time);
- GetLion does not guarantee that Third Party’s or eBook publishers will make their eBooks available for download indefinitely and GetLion accepts no responsibility or liability to you or any other person if, upon your accessing and clicking the Link, the relevant eBook publisher no longer has the eBook available for download via such Link.
- All eBooks are the exclusive property of the publisher or its licensors and are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. The download of eBooks is intended for your personal and non-commercial use. Any other use of eBooks purchased from us is strictly prohibited. You may not modify, transmit, publish, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit, any of the content of eBooks, in whole or in part, and more specifically, you will not print, copy, or ‘lend’ eBooks to any other person. You may also not do anything which otherwise contravenes any licence conditions imposed by the publisher, as described on the relevant eBook’s product detail page. These aforementioned prohibitions are hereinafter referred to as “Illegal Activities”.
- By downloading any eBook, you hereby acknowledge and agree to the terms and conditions contained in this policy. You hereby undertake that you shall not do nor try to do any of the Illegal Activities. You hereby indemnify GetLion from any and all loss, damage, or expense it may suffer or from claims which may be made by third parties against GetLion which arise from or in relation to your having participated in any Illegal Activities in relation to any eBook sold by Third Parties on the GetLion platform.
3.2. ONLINE COURSES
- An “Online Course” is a form of distance learning which allows you to develop your skills and knowledge on a certain topic, via the internet. In order to complete an online course, you need to have your own email account and access to the internet. You do not need to attend classes or visit an education campus. On completion, you will typically receive a digital certificate. Some online courses may require you to complete an assessment (also done online) to complete the course. Online Courses are accessible by means of an Online Course Code.